Friday 9 May 2014

Grateful

We're linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker for 5-minute Friday.  A place where we can get together to share our thoughts and write for 5 minutes, without worry if it's just right, we just write.

Today's word is Grateful

Go -

So we've been crazy busy since school got out at 3, getting snacks and juice, gathering dance clothes, shoes and the lost yoga mat, finding his picks for guitar lesson later, "and you know my teacher said I need a new binder, mum" at the last minute.  Crazy busy and I'm tearing my hair out as I realize somehow I have to squeeze dinner in to this evening and these children and I urge them along with words like, "quick" and "hurry up." The dog looks at me with his sad puppy eyes, waiting for his walk that has to happen at some point to, and what time does it get dark these days I wonder?
Then driving home from these activities and all their crazies I look in my rearview mirror at a boy and a girl who are chatting to each other, laughing and singing to the song that's playing, the dog has his head resting over the back seat between them, and all three are smiling and I feel it to my core - love and gratitude for the precious cargo in this car right now.
So I say, "hey kids, I just wanted to say I think you two are great, you are really fun to be with and my favourite thing to do is spend time with you.  I love you both so much and I'm lucky because you're both awesome.  I have so much fun with you both and I love hanging out together."
Silence.  Then my eldest, the boy, says with a slight smirk and a twinkle in his eye, "what's that mum?  Didn't hear a word?"
Small miss giggles.  "me neither" she says.  Then he says, "say it again mum.  I wanna hear it again."
And that makes me grateful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment